Monday, October 31, 2011

Graycliff G2 Pirate Review

Wrapper: Ecuadorian
Filler: Costa Rican, Nicaraguan, Filipino
Price: ~$5.00

Well as most of you know, today is Halloween. I help a little contest on one of the forums that I frequent to get a little bit of a contest going. I went through my “Coming Soon” list to pick out the ones that had some sort of connection to Halloween, either with the name of the cigar, or the size. So after about 6 hours of voting, the Graycliff G2 Pirate won. “Pirate” is the size of the cigar, but I was reaching out for something.

This cigar looks pretty good. The light brown wrapper is very smooth with only a couple very thin veins throughout it. The only flaw that I noticed with the wrapper were a couple water spots, but that really doesn’t give me a bad impression. The stick is very solid with a slightly softer foot. The cap is a little rough, not as flush as I would have liked to see. The cigar gives off a very earthy and cedar-like smell. The torpedo cap cut very clean and was very easy to light.

The flavor was robust right off of the light. There was some strong earth and nutty flavors that jumped out immediately. Shortly into the stick, there was a little bit of spice that formed. The spice wasn’t strong, but it was a nice compliment to the earthy tones. The wood notes pick up about an inch in. The spice that is there actually mellows out and allows the earth to pick up.

Around half way, the flavor profile was very woody and earthy. There was also a little bit of leather that formed. The leather builds on the palate, while the earthiness and wood continues to linger. There is no spice throughout the last half of this cigar. The flavor stayed consistent from the halfway point throughout the end of the cigar.

The ash on this cigar was a medium shade of gray and pretty strong. The ash held on until about the half way point and was nicely layered. The burn was wavy throughout the entire length of the stick. If finally evened out with about two inches left. The draw was very tight. I even clipped a little bit more off and the draw didn’t ease up. The smoke thick and white and gave off a very earthy aroma.

I was unimpressed with this cigar. I enjoyed the Turbo a while back, so I assumed this one would be similar. It really wasn’t. This cigar didn’t perform for me and was quite anticlimactic. I give this cigar a 5 out of 10.

Happy Halloween,

Zack the Stogie Man

1 comment:

  1. Thanks.
    You saved me from buying these smokes on an almost "too good to be true" sounding deal from a major online seller.

    ReplyDelete