Monday, October 17, 2011

Rocky Patel Vudu Robusto Review

Wrapper: Mexican Maduro
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $5.00

A while back, a reader of mine sent me this cigar for review. It is a completely new stick to me, but I have heard of it before. I have seen specials on these, and was always tempted to try them, but did not want to commit to a box. So when this cigar showed up, I was excited to give it a shot. I have heard mixed things about it, so it was time for me to find out for myself.

The Mexican Maduro is almost the color of dark chocolate. He wrapper itself is flawless. There were no veins, and no spots that were different shades. The stick is very solid throughout. There were no softer spots, not even the foot. The cap was multiple layers, and perfectly flush. The cigar gave off a very earthy and sweet aroma. Cutting this cigar was very easy and clean. Lighting it wasn’t easy because of the morning breeze.

Once I got this cigar lit, the flavors came out immediately. It was very earthy off of the start, but shortly into the cigar, a mild spice formed. Some nice oak flavor comes out about in inch into this cigar. Around this same point, the spice picks up quite a bit. This flavor combination stayed pretty consistent until almost the halfway point. Around then, a slight, creamy sweetness starts peeking out.

By halfway, the flavors opened up. There is a strong leather flavor that forms. The spice also mellows out to allow the other flavors to become more prominent. The earthy tones and oak flavor pick up quite a bit. The sweetness becomes a little more defined, and leans towards a bittersweet chocolate. The body of this cigar mellowed out for the finish. The end was very smooth and had a perfect combination of all of the flavors; earth, wood, and a mild spice complimented by the chocolate.

The ash on this cigar was a darker shade of gray, but was nicely layered and held on for about an inch and a half at a time. I was surprised the ash held on this long with the breeze that was whipping across my porch. The burn was perfectly even throughout and the draw was very easy. The smoke was very thick and gave off a nice earth aroma.

Overall, this cigar was good. Not great, but I did enjoy it. I love sitting on my porch during a nice fall morning with a nice cigar. This cigar was a medium body, that packed a lot of earthy flavors, and I feel it deserves a 6.5 out of 10.

Until next time,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment