Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Ron Mexico Churchill Review

Wrapper: Dominican
Filler: Dominican
Price: $2.00 - $3.00

Back in May, I purchased a five-pack of these cigars for one purpose. I figured they would be great cigars to smoke while relaxing in a pool during the summer. Since they were so cheap, if they got wet, I wouldn’t mind. Well summer came, and I took one of these into the pool with me. I got about two inches into it before I had to put it out. So then I figured that I would let them age a little bit. Well here it is, October, five months later, and I decided I would give it another try.

This cigar is nothing to look at. The light brown wrapper is very veiny, and almost looks stitched together. The cap is at least flush, but it is a darker shade than the rest of the cigar. The wrapper is also covered with dark spots, almost like freckles. The stick itself is very spongy. When I cut this cap off of this stick, the wrapper cracked, and the entire cap came off. The foot was also very soft which made it pretty easy to light.

The initial flavor of this cigar isn’t bad at all. It starts off pretty sweet and earthy. I was picking up little notes of honey and wood. But, the flavor became very bitter. The bitterness combining with the wood notes was not that nice. Then, all of a sudden, the flavor became very grassy..

By the second third of this stick, the bitterness completely took over. There were some strong notes of earth and leather that actually weren’t that bad. Once I started to enjoy the flavor a little bit, it began to taste like dry dirt. But the dirty flavor was met with a mild spice which helped to dilute the dirt. By the last third of this stick, the bitterness subsided a bit, but it still tasted like dirt. I actually put this cigar down with about two inches left. I couldn’t muscle through any more. I was happy that I got as far as I did.

The ash on this cigar was a darker shade of gray. It was a little flakey, but it held on for about two inches at a time. Believe it or not, the burn was terrible. The sponginess of the stick caused it to burn worse than any other cigar I have smoked. It canoed for at least two inches before I decided to touch it up. The draw was easy, but that was because of how loose it was packed. The smoke was very dark and gave of a strong unpleasant aroma. When people say “that nasty cigar smell,” this is the smell they are talking about.

If you are preoccupied and aren’t paying attention to the flavor of the cigar, then this cigar would be good. But if you are trying to relax, and enjoy the delight of a cigar, stray away from this guy. Besides, if you knew what the name meant, you wouldn’t want to smoke it either. I give this cigar a 2.5 out of 10.

Until next time,

Zack the Stogie Man

1 comment:

  1. 2.5 out of 10 is giving it credit if you ask me. I never aged one, but I had one and I have to say, it was quite possibly the worst stick I've ever had. Period. You did it justice to what it's like without completely trash talking it though, and that's rather respectable. Nice review of a not-so-nice "cigar" *shudders* blech

    ReplyDelete