Saturday, October 22, 2011

Cain Daytona Torpedo Review

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano
Filler: Nicaraguan Ligero
Price: $7.00

In the past couple months I have been smoking my fair share of Cain cigars. Ever since I was turned on to the Oliva Serie V, I wanted to find comparable cigars. Since the Cain line is made by Oliva, I figured I would look there first. After smoking several different Cains, I found myself liking just about all of them for different reasons. When I came across the Daytona, I didn’t know what to expect. So I figured I would review it.

The wrapper is a light to medium shade of brown with no thick veins throughout it. There were a couple thin veins, but nothing I would worry about. The cigar was very solid like the other Cain cigars I have smoked. This cigar was very tightly packed all the way through. The wrapper, itself, was very smooth to the touch. The torpedo cap was perfectly flush. This cigar surprisingly cut clean and was very easy to light.

The flavor is very spicy off of the light, just like the other lines. But shortly into the stick, there are a good amount of wood notes that come out. By an inch into this cigar, the spice completely coats the palate. I was surprised with the lack of complexity in the flavor. I was expecting a little bit more out of it in the first third.

By the second third the flavor actually got a little more complex. There were some very subtle notes of chocolate and cedar that came out. Yet, the earthiness and spice stayed very strong. By halfway, the spice mellowed out a bit and let some of the other flavors pick up.

The last couple inches were completely different from the rest of the cigar. There was quite a bit more sweetness. The cedar and chocolate notes were a little easier to pick out. The smoke was still very earthy and the wood notes got even stronger. Now I could tell that the wood notes were more along the lines of oak. The spice was still there, but nowhere near as strong as before.

The ash was a lighter gray, just a shade darker than white. The ash was also nicely layered. The burn was pretty wavy, which bothered me a little bit. It didn’t straighten out until the last couple inches. The draw was easy, which surprised be given how tightly packed it was. The smoke was very thick and white and gave of a spicy and earthy aroma.

This cigar isn’t much at first, but around halfway, the flavors really pop out. The one thing that bothered me was that the wrapper cracked a few times while smoking. Overall, I would smoke this cigar again. I feel it deserves a 7.25 out of 10.

Enjoy,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment