Monday, October 24, 2011

Lars Tetens Bellator Review

Wrapper: Pennsylvania Broadleaf
Filler: Georgia, Kentucky, and North Carolina
Price: $40

A couple weeks ago there was a “Grand Opening” even at the new cigar shop by my house, The Smoking Dog. During the opening weekend they had the area representatives for Lars Tetens in the shop. Well I got to talking with the reps and they suggested I review this cigar. After finding out a little about this stick, I learned it had a massive $40 price tag. So, for the record, this is the most expensive cigar that I have ever smoked.

This cigar is massive 6” x 60. The wrapper is a couple shades of brown, but that is what you get with the Pennsylvania broadleaf. The cigar itself is a little soft, not as solid as I expected. There are no veins throughout the entire wrapper. The cap is also perfectly flush. The cigar gives off a very strong smell. There is a strong black cherry aroma. The cigar cut very clean and was very easy to light.

When I first lit up this cigar, I didn’t know what to expect. I was hit with a great amount of earth as well as a faint black cherry flavor. There is a little spice that comes out after a few puffs, and the spice eventually stains the lips. About an inch into this cigar, the spice picks up a bit more. There is a little bit of sweetness compliments the spice nicely. The remainder of the first half of this cigar is full of earthy notes and nice wood notes.

Around the halfway point the cigar is surprisingly mellow. I was expecting a powerhouse throughout the entire stick, but it went down to a medium body smoke. The flavor is still very earthy with a little bit of spice. There are subtle notes of cherry and chocolate that are very nice. The earthiness seems to be the prominent focus for the last couple inches. The finish is a little bit more spicy, but it is still very earthy with a sweet background.

The ash on this cigar is very solid. It held on until the half way point. The ash was a darker shade of gray and nicely layered. The burn was perfectly even throughout the length of the cigar. The draw was very easy and produced a thick gray smoke. There wasn’t a ton of smoke produced, but enough to deliver some flavor. The aroma was very earthy with bits of spice in it.

Overall this cigar was good. It was very smooth for being a medium to full bodied cigar. I was expecting a powerhouse, but was surprised when it wasn’t as strong as it looked. I wish more people could try this cigar, but with its high price, I don’t know how many people will get that chance. I give this cigar a 7.5 out of 10.

Enjoy,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment