Sunday, October 9, 2011

Lars Tetens Fatez Rocky Review

Wrapper: Cuban-Seed Mexican Maduro
Filler: Pennsylvania Broadleaf Maduro
Price: $9.00 - $10.00

Up until a couple days ago, I had never heard of Lars Tetens cigars. The new shop by me, The Smoking Dog, recently got a large shipment from this company. I was talking with the owner, and she asked me if I would be interested in reviewing one of his cigars. So she gave me this one to try out. Since I had never had any cigars from this company, I was intrigued by what I could experience here. Since I am a fan of full bodied cigars, she suggested this particular cigar.

As soon as I took this cigar out, I new it was different. The wrapper was very dark brown and very solid. This cigar smells like birch beer. Yes, that’s right, like birch beer. I have never had a cigar that wasn’t infused or flavored smell quite like this before. There were no veins throughout the entire wrapper. The cigar was a little difficult to light, but it cut very clean.

The flavor right away was spicy. The spice was very overpowering and actually dulled out some of the other flavors. There was a slight birch beer flavor coming through that I was expecting to get eventually because of its strong aroma. About a half inch in, the spice finally dulled down. Then some nice earthy tones came out. There were also some nice oak flavors that came out as well. The peppery spice then transformed into a cinnamon flavor which was a good change of pace.

By halfway the peppery spice came back full force yet again. But this time, the flavor profile was much more complex and earthy. There was quite a bit of sweetness to come through. Nice amount of chocolate, cinnamon, and birch beer all blended together to offset the amount of pepper. The finish was very powerful. The spice was stronger than ever, but the wood notes coated that palate so that the spice couldn’t kill every other flavor. The sweetness was now very minor, which was a little disappointing.

The ash was ridiculously strong and held on until I put the cigar down. The ash was a medium shade of gray and evenly layered. The burn was perfectly even throughout and the draw was looser than any cigar I have smoked before. There was no effort needed to get the thick smoke out of it. The smoke gave off one of the spiciest aroma I have ever encountered.

This cigar is definitely not for the occasional smoker. This was easily in the top five strongest cigars I have ever smoked. I am glad is was only five inches long, because if it was any bigger, I probably would have gotten sick. If you are a fan of super full-bodied cigars, this one is right up your alley. I give this cigar a 7 out of 10 because the flavor didn’t change much throughout the entire stick.

Enjoy,

Zack the Stogie Man

1 comment:

  1. lars tetens is a scam artist and a douche bag

    ReplyDelete