Thursday, September 15, 2011

Siglo VI Review

Wrapper: Ecuadorian-grown Cubano
Filler: Honduran and Nicaraguan
Price: $6.00 - $7.00


A couple months ago I stumbled upon a couple of boxes of these in a cigar shop near where I went to college. The reason I stopped in was because it was on the way to a wedding I had to go to. These grabbed my attention because of the bright yellow box they come in. They were towards the front door, so they were right there to be seen. That night I smoked one at the wedding, and thought the cigar was amazing. So on my way home the next day, I stopped back in that shop and grabbed a few more. I saved this one to do a review on.

The wrapper is a nice chocolate brown color. The cap was actually a little bit darker than the rest of the cigar. Other that little oddity, the rest of the construction was flawless. There was one little water spot, but that really isn’t a huge deal. There were no thick veins throughout the entire wrapper. The cigar itself was very solid. The foot was a little softer than the rest of the cigar, but that just makes it easier to light. The cut was very clean with no splits or peeling. And there was a nice sweet smell coming off of this cigar.

Once this cigar is lit, there is a nice amount of spice. Not too much though, just enough to make the flavor pop out. About a half of an inch into this one, there are strong earthy notes. There is a nice leather flavor that comes out and knocks the spice down a little. The leather flavor quickly stains the palate.

Right after the one third mark, the flavor profile changes to being very woody. A little bit of the spice comes back as well. And by the halfway point, the flavor is coming out full force. There is a perfect balance of spice, earth, leather, and wood. This flavor combination stayed relatively steady until the last couple inches. Around the end of the cigar, the flavors mellowed out a bit, and all melded together perfectly for a stellar finish.

The ash on this cigar was great. It was almost white and held on until just passed the halfway point. The burn was perfectly even throughout the entire length of the cigar. The draw was constantly easy. There was no effort to get a good amount of creamy smoke out of it. The smoke also gave off a very nice earthy aroma.

This is one of my favorite cigars. It is on the border between mild and medium to me. This is a good change of pace for me because I am usually all about the medium to full bodied cigars. So I think this is a good cigar for just about anyone to try. I give this one a 7.75 out of 10.

Enjoy,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment