Wednesday, September 21, 2011

La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Oscuro Natural Especiales Review

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sun Grown Oscuro
Filler: Dominican
Price: $9.50

So the other day after work I stopped into Xhale Lounge to see how everything was going. I learned that they are now running a special on La Flor Dominicana cigars. From now until October 7th, they are running a buy three and get one free deal on of LFD cigars. So when I learned that the special was going on now, I wanted to review one of their sticks since I haven’t yet. I know its strange that I have had this website for about six months and I haven’t reviewed an LFD yet.

Well this cigar looks stunning. The oscuro wrapper is amazing in every aspect. It is very dark and oily. There were a couple veins, but nothing too bad. There was a nice, tight pigtail cap that unraveled to be about two inches. The stick is very solid with a nice soft foot that made it easy to light. This stick also gave off a nice earthy smell that gave me a nice heads-up as to what I was to expect.

The flavor was delicious right away. There was a good amount of spice off of the light, but that quickly died down to give way to a sweetness. The sweetness was something I had not tasted many times before. I had to taste it a few times before I could pinpoint it, and the only thing I could come up with was a slight fruity flavor. I know that’s general, but I would have to smoke a couple more of these to pinpoint a little bit more.
Along with the fruity sweetness came along a nice woody flavor. After a couple inches, the flavor became very leathery and the combination of the wood and leather coated my palate perfectly.

Around the start of the second third, the flavors opened up quite a bit. There were some sweet chocolate under tones that made for a very sweet and enjoyable smoke. There was still a mild spice that lingered throughout this third as well. The earthy notes picked up a little more and the wood flavor became the prominent flavor.

The last couple inches were great. The spice picks up quite a bit and the sweet undertones are the combination of chocolate and fruit. The earthy tones were very strong as well. There was a slight bitterness that peeked out for the last couple inches and it combined very nicely with the other flavors.

The ash on this cigar wasn’t as strong as I thought it would be. It was a medium gray and brown marbled color that was nicely layered and held on for about an inch and a half at a time. The burn was perfectly even throughout the entire length of the stick. The draw was flawless the whole time. The smoke was a nice, thick and white that game off a spicy aroma that tingled the nostril a bit.

This is a fantastic stick, but its not for everybody. This is a stronger cigar that is packed with flavor. This is one I could see myself smoking again. I give this an 8.25 out of 10. If you haven’t tried this line yet, and you like full bodied cigars, give this one a try.

Enjoy,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment