Sunday, September 11, 2011

Gurkha Blue Steel Double Headed Monster Review

Wrapper: Costa Rican
Filler: Nicaraguan, Honduran, and Colombian
Price: ~$15

For a while now I have been trying to get my hands on this box of the “Double Happiness.” When the opportunity came up for me to get them for a great price, I jumped all over it. So this passed Saturday was the town festival in my home town. So I walked around town, and kept thinking about this box I had just received. So when I came home I closed my eyes and just grabbed on. Then I had to decide to cut it in half or smoke the whole 10 inches as a whole. It was only noon, so I figured it was late enough to smoke the whole thing. So here is the review of my first 10 inch cigar.

This monster looked amazing. The wrapper was flawless. It was wrapped in a way that it could be enjoyed as two separates. Both ends had perfectly flush caps. The wrapper was a chocolate brown shade. There were no veins in this cigar at all, which really surprised me. Once I cut both caps, I was ready to light up this beast.

The flavors weren’t too strong off the light, but they slowly opened up. The initial flavor was a very mild spice with strong earthy notes. After about an inch or so, some nice wood notes came out as well. About quarter of the way into this cigar, the flavor changed almost completely. The spice picks up and the flavor becomes very grassy and toasty.

By halfway this cigar was mainly all toast. The spice dies down quite a bit. A couple inches passed half way, the flavor was very earthy. There were strong grass and wood notes. Then a sweet tobacco flavor came out as well. The finish was long-awaited. And it was worth it. There was a unique charred wood flavor that I was getting that was very nice. There was still a good amount of earth still present and also a nice mild spice.

The ash was very light colored, almost white. The ash also held on for a minimum of two inches at a time. The burn was surprisingly even given how big the cigar was. The draw was tight, but that was expected given that it was ten inches long. After the half way point, the draw became very easy. The smoke was nice. At first there wasn’t much produced because it had a distance to travel, but as the cigar progressed, more and more was produced. The aroma was very similar to the flavor, earthy with spice.

This cigar was actually pretty good, but next time, I am most likely going to cut it into two separates. Ten inches requires quite a long time smoke. But overall I have to give this one a 6.25 out of 10

Enjoy,

Zack the Stogie Man

1 comment:

  1. Love the Review, I'm going to be smoking one of these this afternoon. Hope I have a good experience!

    ReplyDelete