Wednesday, September 28, 2011

CAO OSA Lot 50 Review

Wrapper: Olancho, San Agustin Sun Grown
Filler: Nicaraguan and Honduran
Price: $4.50

This past weekend I was in a wedding for one of my college roommates. That morning of the wedding I had to go out and get a card. Right across the street from out hotel was a little strip of stores. Right in the middle of this strip was a big yellow sign that just said “CIGARS.” Naturally I had to walk into this shop. After browsing for a few minutes I picked up this cigar and a few others (to be reviewed later).

This cigar has a light brown wrapper that had a couple darker spots, almost like freckles. The stick was very solid with only a couple miniscule veins. The construction was very nice as well. The cap was perfectly flush and cut very clean. This stick also cut very easily. The pre-light aroma of this stick was a little odd. The best way I could describe it would be  a combination of caramel and hay.

The flavor was what really got me. It had a very woody and earthy start with a sweet tobacco undertone. Shortly in, the flavors open up. There is much more sweetness that comes out. It becomes sugary with a combination of leather. There is also I little bit more wood that comes out.

Around the start of the second third the wood notes become very strong. The flavor also becomes a little toasty, almost leading me towards a charred wood flavor overall. The sweetness died down which gave way to the strong earthy notes. The wood notes point towards oak, but I can’t put my finger exactly on it. The last couple inches were very earthy. There was also a little bit of spice that came out at the end. The flavor really mellowed out but the finishing flavor was very nice.

The ash on this stick was a little dark but it was nicely layered and held on for almost two inches at a time. The burn was perfectly even throughout the entire stick. The draw was very easy, which is always a good thing. The smoke was very thick and white. It actually stuck around for a while which gave me time to pick out some of the earthy notes in the aroma.

This is definitely one of the best CAO cigars I have ever smoked. And the price is great on this stick. I recommend trying it because it’s a milder cigar with a good amount of flavor. I give it an 8.5 out of 10.

Until next time,

Zack the Stogie Man

2 comments:

  1. Nice review. I've smoked a few of these an find the Lot 50 to be the best in the line. The larger size isn't quite as tasty for some reason. I'd love to try this in a corona. Where was the shop you visited?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Craig: the shop was in Royersford, PA, i was on vacation for a wedding. I havent seen them in my local shops.

    ReplyDelete