Saturday, September 3, 2011

Chubby's Maduro Review

Wrapper: Dominican Maduro Special
Filler: Dominican
Price: $6.00 - $7.00

This is one of those cigars that up until a couple days ago I had never heard of. When I was helping Brad from Xhale Lounge, he was telling me that this cigar is made by Cuban Stock, which I have heard of. This is also the only store I have ever seen this stick in. The few times I walked around the humidor, this one kept catching my eye. So I figured it was time to give this one a shot.

This cigar was dark, not like just any Maduro, this one was almost black. The wrapper was very oily as well. The cigar looks flawless. There are no veins or soft spots throughout the stick. The cap is perfectly flush as well. This massive 6”x60 gave of a sweet earthy aroma.

The flavor of this cigar was very strong on the spice at first, but it quickly mellowed out. Once the spice died down, the flavor became very earthy with some nice oak undertones. There was also a sweet undertone that formed as well that was feint enough that I couldn’t pinpoint exactly what it was. It was almost like a black cherry hint. This flavor was left on the palate with the earth and oak which completely overpowered the sweetness.

Throughout the entire first half the cigar stayed mellow. The second half was no different. The earth and oak flavors kicked up even more but that unrecognizable sweet note was still there. By this point it was bothering me that I couldn’t pinpoint it. By now, the spice is pretty much gone. The finish was very nice. There was a little bit of spice that came back within the last inch and a half. The earth and oak notes were still very dominant, as they have been throughout the cigar.

The ash was strong and light gray. It held on until almost the band. The burn was even throughout and the draw was easy. The smoke was nice and creamy. The aroma was also very earthy, and not strong at all.

This is another one of those cigars that aren’t as strong as they look. I though this one was going to knock me over, but in fact, it was only a medium bodied cigar. The flavor was consistent, and so was every other aspect of this cigar. For the price, I would say to give it a try. I give it a 6.5 out of 10.

Enjoy,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment