Friday, March 23, 2012

Viaje C4 Review

Wrapper: 1999 Nicaraguan Corojo
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $11.00

This week is a pretty big week for me. Today marks the start of the second year of these reviews. It’s hard to imagine that a year ago I was just thinking of something constructive to do, and now I look forward to writing these reviews for all of you. This week I plan on doing five reviews of cigars that are, in my opinion, celebration cigars. The reason I chose to start with this one is because it has been a blast doing these reviews for all of you over the past year.

The wrapper on this cigar is very dark brown with a slight reddish hint to it. This cigar is very interesting because it is flat on the top and bottom, but rounded on the sides. It also features a capped foot. The caps are both perfectly flush and are made up of three layers. This cigar is solid all the way through and gives off a sweet and earthy smell.

I was expecting to get hit with a large amount of spice right away, but actually it was the complete opposite. I was greeted with a light earth as well as some sweet notes. Very quickly there was a leather flavor that built up. After a few puffs, the leather was full force. About a half of an inch in the flavor became very creamy.

By about an inch of the way into this cigar the flavors really opened up. There was finally a little bit of spice coming through. But, it wasn’t pepper like I was expecting, instead it was more of a cinnamon flavor. There was still a faint taste of pepper, but the cinnamon stood out.

When I moved into the second third, the earth and leather completely took over the flavor profile. The cinnamon picked up a little more as well. It wasn’t until about this point where I could really feel the sheer power of this cigar.
By the halfway point the pepper started to come out a little bit more and put the cinnamon flavor more on the back burner. Once this happened, I started to pick up some notes of cedar coming through to add a little bit of sweetness. The leather flavor remained very strong.

Once I got down to the last third the sweetness was completely gone. All of the power flavors were left. The pepper, wood, earth, and leather all swirled together to make up a very full flavor profile. The finish was very strong as I expected. This is definitely a cigar you have to smoke on a full stomach.

The ash was a darker gray with a few brown spots marbled throughout it. The ash was a little flaky but managed to hold on until about the halfway point. The burn was wavy all the way through, but it never got out of control. The draw was not bad at all and it produced a thick white smoke. The smoke gave off a very earthy aroma.

If you have the opportunity to try this cigar, grab it. But if you aren’t one for full bodied cigars, you may want to avoid this one. I give it a 8.25 out of 10. I liked the flavor, but it had some burn issues.

It has been a pleasure reviewing for you this past year. Here is to many more!

Thanks for reading,

Zack the Stogie Man

2 comments:

  1. Where would one find this cigar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I dont know. I got it in a trade. Viaje is nowhere to be found around me

      Delete