Sunday, March 11, 2012

Padilla Miami Edicion Limitada 2010 Review

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Maduro Oscuro
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $8.00 - $10.00

A few months ago I purchased a sampler of cigars online. This cigar happened to be one of the ones that I really wanted to try. The reason this one stood out to me was because of how much I enjoyed the original Padilla Miami. I saw this cigar when it first came out, but I never got around to buying it. So when this sampler came along, and included five or so cigars that i really enjoyed, the risk on this cigar was fairly low.

This cigar features a dark chocolate brown wrapper that appears to be flawless from the top. When you flip the cigar over, there is one pretty thick vein that runs the length of the cigar. The wrapper itself if very smooth and oily. The cap on this cigar was made up of two layers, but they weren't perfectly flush with the rest of the cigar. They stood up a little bit. This cigar was solid from cap to foot and gave off a sweet chocolate aroma prior to being lit.


When I lit up this cigar, I was hit with a very strong wood flavor. The wood was pretty distinct right away, it tasted very much like oak. There was also a slight spice in the background of the smoke. As this cigar slowly progressed, the woodiness and spiciness both picked up.

About an inch of the way into this cigar, the smoke started to have a slight bitterness to it. Once the bitterness came out the spice mellowed out a little bit. The oak flavors in the smoke quickly coated my palate as well. As i moved toward the end of the first third, the bitterness formed into a black coffee flavor.

Once I moved into the second third, the woodiness and earthiness are at their strongest. The spice was still quite mellow, but it was enough to stick to the tip of my tongue. I also noticed that the smoke had a nice leather flavor coming through a little bit.

By halfway, there was a mixture of leather and oak that coated my palate. These two flavors actually worked pretty well together to create a nice base flavor. Along with all of this, the spice picked up a little more. By this point in the cigar, the flavor are very strong.

As I moved into the last third of this cigar, the leather flavor leaves and allows the oak to pick up again. The spiciness is still present, but quite mellow yet again. The coffee flavor is completely nonexistent, which let the earthy tones take over.

The ash on this cigar held on until about the halfway point of this cigar and was a medium to dark shade of gray. The burn was absolutely awful. It canoed pretty much the entire way through the cigar and requited quite a few touch ups. The draw, however, was very easy and produced a thick white smoke. The smoke also gave off a very earthy aroma.

If it weren't for the middle section of this cigar, I would have been completely disappointed. It seemed like all of the strength and flavor died out once I moved into the last third of the cigar. The burn was off the whole time as well. If you like the original Miami, try this one, but don't think you are in for as much of a treat. I only give this cigar a 6.5 out of 10.

Thank for reading,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment