Sunday, March 25, 2012

Arturo Fuente Opus X Lost City Double Robusto Review

Wrapper: Dominican
Filler: Dominican
Price: $20.00 - $29.00 (depending where you shop)

This cigar is the second installment of my celebration set of cigars. Each one of these cigars were picked for a reason. This one actually represents my start. Be warned, my puns are quite bad. The reason I chose this particular cigar was because when I first started reviewed I felt... yes... "Lost." I started out not knowing how my style of reviewing would be perceived among the cigar world. And thanks to all of you, I am no longer "Lost" in this wonderful cigar world.

This cigar has a very appealing wrapper. The leaf is a medium shade of brown and is very smooth. There also appears to be a slightly oily coat on it. The cap is consisted of three layers and they all lay perfectly flush. There are a few veins that run throughout the wrapper but none of which are thick enough to worry about.


This cigar is very solid all the way through from the cap to the foot. The foot is slightly softer than the rest of the cigar, but it is still pretty stiff. Upon further inspection of this cigar, I notice that is has a very creamy and spicy smell. I knew I was in for a treat after I smelled this cigar.

As soon as I lit up this cigar, the pepper came out almost immediately. That Opus X spice couldn't hide long. Shortly after the light, some earthy tones as well as woody tone formed. Neither of these flavors were any match for the pepper that was covering my mouth

Once I got through the first inch, there was a very distinct creaminess that comes out. The woodiness was still strong, but it had lessened since the start of the cigar. The one thing that did happen to the wood notes throughout the first third was that it started to form into a cedar-like flavor. This added a slight sweetness to the very peppery flavor profile.

The second third lead to the pepper picking up way more than expected. The profile remained very creamy still, but the pepper was slightly overpowering. The sweetness of the cedar picked up a little as well to add that compliment of sweetness to the spice. The pepper and cedar were the two prominent flavors until the halfway point.

At roughly the halfway point I started to get some coffee flavors poking through. They were very light but they were noticeable and added a nice change of pace to the profile. Once the coffee tones and creaminess mashed together, the flavor profile was unbelievable.

The last couple inches really were quite mellow on the spice. Instead of the spice being the main flavor, the creaminess was. The coffee notes were almost completely gone and the cedar and earth tones provided a great background profile. The finish was unbelievably smooth and full of flavor.

The ash on this cigar was a very light gray, almost white shade. The ash also held on for about two inches at a time. The burn had a slight wave to it until about the halfway point, but the wave never got out of control. The draw was very easy throughout and produced a thick white smoke. The smoke gave off a complex aroma of cedar, earth, and pepper.

This cigar is absolutely fantastic. If you want to treat yourself to a great cigar for a special occasion, this one can do that for you. The worst thing about this cigar was that it ended. I didn't want it finish. Because of the slight wave in the burn pattern for half of the cigar, I have to give this cigar a 9.5 out of 10.

Thanks for reading,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment