Monday, March 26, 2012

Padron Serie 1926 No. 2 Maduro Review

Wrapper: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $16.00 - $17.00

As I continue this series of reviews, its getting harder and harder to choose which one I want to review next. This cigar was a sure thing when I first started thinking of this series. The reason I decided to review this one was because it was a gift from my dad. My dad has been my smoking buddy for about a year now. The first cigar he ever bought me was a Padron 1926, and he also bought this one for me. When he gave it to me, I had to sit it aside for something special. And since he has been helping me everything cigar related this year, I had to review this one for him.

This cigar looks perfect in every way. The dark brown maduro wrapper is very rough looking, but very smooth to the touch. The leaf is dark brown with no veins at all. The cap is a little rough as you can see in the first picture, but one I cut it, it showed the perfectly even pack. This cigar is very solid all the way through from the cap all the way to the foot. There is not one spot that is soft whatsoever. The smell of this cigar is interesting because at first it was very spicy, then it had a slight sweetness to it.

I couldn't wait any longer, I had to light up this cigar. There was a strong spice and a deep woody flavor that came out instantly. As this cigar slowly progressed, the pepper continued to build up. After about a dozen puffs or so, there were a few subtle sweet notes that came out.

Once I got through the first inch I started to get some coffee notes coming through. There was still a strong pepper and wood base, but the coffee helped to offset that slightly. Once the pepper mellowed out a little bit, the flavor profile became very smooth and creamy.

At about the start of the second third the coffee tones picked up a little bit more.Since the pepper mellowed out a little bit more, the coffee took over quite a bit. The pepper is actually mellowed out to more of a light accent now. Even the woodiness lessened a little bit which let some earthy tones come out.

Now I am down to the saddest part of this stick, the last third. I call it the saddest part because I know the end is coming. The flavor profile becomes a little more complex when the addition of the leathery flavor comes out. The coffee and leather tones are the most prominent flavors throughout the finish whereas the pepper and wood act as accents. The last couple inches were fairly consistent, but great. The finish was strong and full of flavor.

The ash was a darker shade of gray and nicely layered. The ash also held on for about two inches at a time. The burn was a little wavy at times as you can see in the pictures, but it eventually evened out. The draw was a little tight, but it opened up eventually. The smoke was still thick and white and gave off a very spice and creamy aroma.

This is a great cigar for a celebration. But, it is strong. If you think this one is a little strong, it also comes in "Natural" that is a little lighter. Other than the couple burn issues and the tight draw, everything was great. I give this cigar a 9 out of 10.

Thanks for reading,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment