Thursday, March 29, 2012

Drew Estate Liga Privada Unico Series "A" Review

Wrapper: Connecticut Habano
Filler: Nicaraguan, Honduran, and Dominican
Price: Not For Resale

Well this past week has been quite fun. I sincerely thank everyone that has read my reviews, as well as everyone who has helped me along the way. Whether it be sending me cigars, trading cigars, or even searching for cigars for me, I thank you.

As I have done for the last four reviews, this cigar was chosen to represent my past year. The reason I chose this particular cigar was because of its size. This is one of the longest cigars I have ever come across, and the journey through the first year was a long journey. And again, I thank all of you, because without you, none of this would have been possible.


The first thing I noticed about this cigar, as I'm sure you all did as well, was just how big it is. This cigar is 9.25 inches long and is a 50 ring gauge. The Connecticut Habano wrapper is a dark brown shade and visibly oily. The cigar is smooth from its flush twisted cap, all the way down to the foot. The only problem with this stick is the slight crack at the cap. I won't hold that against the cigar, because I think it is my fault. There is also a sweet chocolate smell coming from this cigar.

As soon as I lit this cigar up, I got sweetness coming through. The first few puffs were full of this sweetness. Shortly after that, some spicy undertones started to come out. Once the sweetness and spiciness balanced out, the flavor became very creamy. A creamy woody flavor quickly built on my palate.

The sweetness continued to build throughout the first couple inches, and as this was happening, the spice seemed to mellow out. About two inches into this cigar the sweetness became very defined and resembled dark chocolate. The chocolate tones mixed nicely with the earthy tones and the woody tones. The wood notes tended to taste more like oak than anything else.

The second third of this cigar contained much more creaminess. There was also very little pepper left in the flavor profile. The earth and oak notes were still very strong. This actually caused the chocolate to dull down to more of an accent.

Right around the halfway mark there seemed to be some coffee flavors building up. The pepper actually started to form again as well. The pepper never picked up to the point is was at earlier, but it still worked perfectly with the chocolate tones. Towards the end of the second third, the coffee flavor became much stronger adding a little bit of bitterness to the flavor profile.

The last couple inches were full of strong flavors. The flavor was very sweet again with the coffee and oak adding the accents now. The spice actually picked up and was full force again. The spice was now sitting on my tongue unlike earlier. The finish was very strong and full bodied. The flavors were very nice and complex all the way through.

The ash on this cigar is a mix of grays and browns. The ash held on for about two inches and a time and was nicely layered. The burn was perfect until I got down to the last third. The burn never got bad though. The draw was good all the way through and produced an abundance of thick white smoke. The smoke was very spice with subtle hints of sweetness poking through.

If you get the opportunity to try this cigar, do it. These are promotional cigars though. They are only available at specific events where either Jonathan Drew or Marvin Samel are present. But I will be completely honest, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to get these. I give this cigar a 9.5 out of 10.

Side note: If you do get this cigar, be prepared to set aside around two hours to get through it.

Thanks for reading,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment