Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Oliveros Aging Room M356 Mezzo Review

Wrapper: Dominican
  Filler: Dominican
Price: $7.00

A few weeks ago I went on a little adventure with my Dad to find some new cigar shops, just to see what new cigars we could find. Well this one shop we found in New Jersey was literally in the middle of a town I had never been to before. The shop was situated in a way that if you didn’t know it was there, you would miss it. As I walked around their small walk-in humidor, I spotted these cigars. I was asked several times what I thought about this cigar, but I had never seen them. So when I saw these on the shelf I had to give it a shot.

This cigar has a very nice looking wrapper. It is a light to medium shade of brown with a few darker spots throughout it. There were a few thin veins that ran throughout the wrapper, but the wrapper was pretty smooth. The cap was composed of several layers, and they all lay perfectly flush. The stick itself was solid throughout with a slightly softer foot. The smell that was coming off of this cigar was very sweet.


As I lit this cigar up, I noticed that it definitely had a sweetened cap. Once the cigar was lit there was a strong pepper flavor that came out. As this cigar progressed, the sweetness on the cap lightened up a bit. There was a strong woodiness and earthiness that built up quite rapidly as well. The combination of the wood and spice quickly coated my palate.

By about an inch of the way into this cigar, the spice mellowed out slightly. The overall profile of the smoke remained very earthy. I was slightly pleased with the fact that the sweetness on the cap was gone by this point as well. It seems as though the woodiness continues to pick up throughout the entire first third of this cigar. There was still a little bit of spice on my palate, but there wasn’t much coming through in the smoke.

As I moved into the second third of this cigar, the spice mellowed out even more. It seemed as the spice mellowed, the woodiness and earthiness both picked up. The smoke becomes very creamy with a slight leather-like flavor to it. The leathery flavor started to build up on my palate, as did the creaminess. By halfway, the spice picked right back up. Even though the spice got stronger, the flavor remained creamy. The woodiness started to lighten up a little bit, and the earthiness stayed full force.

As I moved into the last couple inches of this cigar, some light coffee notes came out. The coffee seemed to be a perfect complement to the creaminess that was present. As I came towards the end of this cigar, the flavors really mellowed out. The spice was almost completely gone. The coffee and wood notes stayed around as the main flavors on the finish.

The ash on this cigar was a light to medium shade of gray with some brown spots throughout it. The ash held on for about an inch and a half at a time. The burn was a little wavy at times, and requited two touches ups. The draw was very easy throughout the whole cigar and produced a thick white smoke. The smoke gave off a very woody aroma.

This actually is a pretty good cigar. This is one of the best Oliveros cigars I have ever smoked. It has some great flavors to it. The fact that it’s a medium bodied cigar is also another selling point. This is a great cigar for everyone. I think the fact that it had a wavy burn, may be due to a little bit of wind, so I think this cigar deserves an 8.25 out of 10.

Thanks for reading,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment