Monday, March 19, 2012

Man O War Side Project Phalanx Review

Wrapper: Pennsylvania Broadleaf Maduro
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $9.00

If you recall, last week I took the time to review the Little Devil Side Project and I absolutely loved the cigar. Well my fiancé knew that I liked it because I raved about it after I smoked it. Well out anniversary is coming up in a couple weeks, and she decided to get me a box of another side project for it. Well she knew she couldn’t hold them from me for that long, so she gave them to me a little early. I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to review this one right away either.

This cigar looks awesome. The chocolate brown wrapper is very oily and smooth. There are actually no veins running through the wrapper at all. As I felt this stick, it was very solid all the way through with not a single soft spot. The cap is made up of two layers that both lay perfectly flush. I gave the cigar a good look over and noticed that it gave off a very strong aroma from the foot that resembled hot pepper and chocolate, very unique.


As soon as I lit this cigar, I noticed that it was the complete opposite to the Little Devil. This cigar had a very smooth and sweet start. There were definite notes of chocolate and coffee right away. After a few puffs on this cigar, the pepper notes started to come out, but they weren’t harsh.

By about an inch or so into this cigar, I started to get some light cinnamon notes as well as some cedar notes. There was a whole lot of sweetness swirling through the smoke. I was amazed at just how smooth and creamy this cigar was with the cedar and earth background.

As the first third came to a close, the pepper started to build up a little bit. The chocolate notes picked up a little more as well. As I progressed slowly through this cigar the pepper seemed to mellow slightly while the earth and cedar picked up even more.

Once the halfway point was hit, the coffee notes came out much stronger. The combination of coffee and chocolate worked perfectly together to add a great accent to the prominent earthy tones. Every flavor combination that has come out so far has been amazing.

Once I got down to the last couple inches, the coffee flavor become the most prominent of all of the flavors. There is a combination of cedar and earth that coat my palate while the pepper and chocolate coat my tongue. The finish was absolutely great and full of flavor. The sweet and spicy combinations work so well throughout the entire cigar.

The ash was a medium shade of gray. The ash was also perfectly layered and held on for about two inches at a time. The burn was perfectly even throughout with just a slight wave at the middle that evened out quickly. The draw was very easy all the way throughout this cigar. The smoke was a thick and light gray and gave off a very spicy and earthy aroma.

So far I have tried and reviewed two of the three side projects, and have yet to feel disappointed. Both have been amazing for different things. The Little Devils was spicier while this one was much sweeter. This cigar was actually a nice medium to full body, but more on the medium side. I highly suggest giving this one a try. I give it a 9.25 out of 10.

Thanks for reading,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment