Thursday, August 25, 2011

San Cristobal Seleccion Del Sol Robusto Review

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Sun Grown
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $7.00 - $8.00

A couple weeks ago I had a wedding to go to in Northeast Pennsylvania, right near where I went to college. So I figured that since I was up that way, I would stop in at the cigar shop up there that I frequented while I was at school. They quite the selection there. This was one of the cigars that I picked up while I was up there. I was asked to review this one next. Since the weather was nice enough today, I went out on my front porch and got to work.

This cigar was a medium shade of brown and was constructed very well. There were no veins and even had a smooth, even cap. The only flaw I found in the construction was the foot. The foot was very soft and actually made lighting it difficult. The smell of the wrapper was sweet and earthy.

The flavor started almost immediately. There was a little bit of spice and earth combination at first, but after a few puffs the spice dulled and earthy notes became prominent. About a half inch in, there were woody cedar notes that kicked in. Slowly more earthy flavors came out which dulled down the spice even more.

About a third of the way in the spice was almost completely gone. The earthy notes kicked up and a sweetness entered. The sweetness was leaning towards honey. By halfway, there was a little bit of a chocolate flavor that came out.  The chocolate combined with the faint honey flavor, taking the sweetness to a whole new level.

The last third of this cigar had a little bit of spice in it. But the finish in general was very smooth with a perfect combination of sweet and spicy from the notes of cedar, chocolate, and pepper.

The ash on this stick was amazingly strong. It literally held on until I was finished with the cigar. It was a light to medium shade of gray. The burn was exceptionally even all the way through. The draw was flawless. And the aroma was just a little spicy, but nice nonetheless.

This was a great medium bodied cigar. I highly recommend this to anyone who like mild to medium cigars. I feel this cigar deserves a 8 out of 10.

Enjoy,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment