Monday, August 8, 2011

Man O War Special Edition Figurado Review

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
Filler: Nicaraguan long fillers
Price: $15

A few months back I stopped in the Cigars International Superstore on my way home from a weekend away and I spent an hour walking around. I was like a kid in a candy shop in there. They were running a deal on Man O War cigars. The deal was that when you bought any box of Man O War cigars, get five of their Special Edition Figurados for free. So I bought a box of the Puro Authenticos for $60 and got $75 worth of cigars for free. Sounds like a good deal to me. So these figurados have been sitting in my humidor for a few months seasoning and it is now time to light one up.
The cigar looks very impressive to me. Since it is a special edition, I have pretty high hopes for this one. The wrapper is a chocolate shade with a very sweet smell coming off of it. There were a couple veins, but they were all relatively thin. The cigar is ridiculously hard and caused the draw to be tight. Since the draw was tight, the cigar was difficult to light.

The flavors were there right from the start. This stick was very spicy with strong oak flavors lingering throughout the smoke. The smoke and flavor latched onto my palate immediately leaving an earthy flavor. After a inch and a half or so, the spice dies down to give way to prominent wood and earthy flavors.

The midsection of this cigar becomes very creamy. There was also a slight sweetness that was there as well. The sweetness reminded me a little of vanilla. Once the sweetness picked up, the spiciness died down even more. Around the half way point of this cigar, the flavor was primarily wood.

The last couple inches of this cigar had just a bit a spice. There was still a bit of spice there, but nothing like there was in the first third. The earthiness picked up even more and then the wood notes came full force as well. For the most part the last third was very similar to the midsection with just minor changes.

The ash on this cigar very strong due to how solid the cigar is. The ash is also white and holds on quite well. The burn was even throughout the entire burn. The draw was a huge downside to me. It was tight throughout but around the halfway point is eased up, but wasn’t easy by any means. The smoke was very thick and white and loaded with flavor. The aroma was spicy and earthy for sure.

This is a great full bodied cigar. I recommend it anyone who regularly smokes full bodied cigars. If you are not used to smoking full bodied cigars, don’t start with this one. I give this stick an 8 out of 10
Enjoy,

Zack the Stogie Man

1 comment:

  1. I would have really enjoyed this cigar, my third, if not for one common difficulty. Each of the three have had a plug running from the cut towards the foot, an inch long. Until the tobacco warms up, the draw was found to be less than easy to deal with. If you can get past this problem, you will enjoy the cigar.

    ReplyDelete