Thursday, August 18, 2011

Rocky Patel Nording Toro Grande Review

Wrapper: Costa Rican Maduro
Filler: Nicaraguan and Honduran
Price: $6.00 - $7.00

So as I was walking around my local shop, this box caught my eye. All I saw were two Rams butting heads together. I thought it was a cool design, because something as powerful as two rams should mean the cigar is equally as powerful. Then I saw the price, and decided it was definitely one to try.

This cigar is a beastly 6” x 58. The wrapper was chocolate brown and smelled of sweet chocolate as well. The construction is flawless. There were no veins that could alter the burn pattern in any way, very solid stick with minimal soft spots. Once I cut this cigar, I knew I was in for a treat.

This cigar starts off with great flavor. There is a very sweet, almost honey-like taste that is very strong that is combined with a mild peppery spice. After a few puffs on this cigar, the spice dies down and the honey flavor becomes very strong and delightful. After about an inch or so, the cigar becomes very earthy and the woody notes enter.

This cigar’s flavor profile was changing constantly. After a couple inches, just shy of the halfway point, the flavor becomes very nutty with slight, bitter coffee undertones as well. Right around the halfway point the spice picked back up a little bit. As the spice picked up, the sweetness died down. The finish of this cigar is fairly consistent. There is a great combination of the earthy tones with mild spice and coffee. This flavor profile lasted for about the last two inches.

I was highly disappointed with the burn pattern of this cigar. With as good as the construction looked, the burn was terribly uneven all the way through. I had to touch it up multiple times. Other than that everything was good.

The ash was very strong and held on until the halfway point and was multiple shades of light gray. The draw was flawless all the way through. The smoke was very thick and creamy with a great amount produced. The aroma definitely showed the sweetness of this cigar. There was only a little bit of spice marbled through the aroma.

This is a great stick loaded with a ton of flavor. Next time I but this cigar I’m going to have to let it sit for a while in hopes that it will burn better. This is a solid medium bodied cigar that I feel deserves a 7.5 out of 10.

Enjoy,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment