Saturday, August 27, 2011

Java Mint Corona Review

Wrapper: Brazilian Mata Fina Maduro
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $6.00

Where do I start with this one? This cigar is so far off from everything I usually smoke. I am not a huge mint fan, nor a fan of flavored sticks. But, this cigar being as new as it is, I wanted to be one of the first to do a decent review on it. So, I picked up two of these to do the review on and hoped that I could muscle through it.

The cigar looks kind of cheap. The wrapper was dark chocolate in color but didn’t look like it was wrapped right. The wrapper wasn’t smooth all the way around. There was a decent amount of excess glue on the cap and above the band. There were no veins in the wrapper, but the stick itself was relatively soft. The cigar smelled like I was about to smoke a peppermint patty.

The flavor wasn’t quite what I expected. I was expecting the cigar to be overly mint flavored, but in fact it was the opposite. The cigar started off with quite a bit of spice and chocolate notes. Slowly, the mint came into the smoke, but it was very minor. There was more mint flavor on my lips than in the smoke. After an inch or so, the coffee flavors came out a little bit and shortly after that the chocolate flavor became very prominent.

A couple of inches in, the flavors all mellowed out. The creamy chocolate and coffee flavors were still there but were very faint. The mint undertone was actually a good compliment to the flavor. The spice was almost gone by the midpoint of the cigar, but there was still a little bit of excess spice flavor on the palate. The finish wasn’t amazing but good overall. Most of the sweetness disappeared and I was left with the very faint spice and strong earthy tones.

The ash on this stick was charcoal in color and held on for an inch or two at a time. The burn was actually even throughout, but burned very fast. The draw was flawless, which is always good. The smoke was thick and plentiful. The aroma was earthy with subtle notes of chocolate in it.

Overall, I didn’t hate this stick. As I said before, I am not usually a fan of infused and flavored cigars, but I have to review them from time to time because some cigar smokers enjoy them very much. As far as infused cigars go, this one isn’t bad at all and I feel it deserves a 7.25 out of 10
Enjoy,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment