Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Gurkha Gran Reserve Robusto Review

Wrapper: Connecticut
Filler: Nicaraguan and Honduran
Price: $8.00 - $9.00

A couple weeks ago, someone within the cigar community posted online that he had a couple of these that he was willing to send out to other cigar smokers. He said he wasn’t a fan of these after smoking a couple of them. He was nice enough to send one of them to me for me to review and to get my take on this cigar.

After spending a few weeks in my humidor, it was time to smoke this cigar. I was highly disappointed when I noticed the wrapper had been cracked a few times. The wrapper itself was a very light brown with an extremely earthy aroma coming off of it. There were no veins in the wrapper, and the cigar itself was very solid. The construction was just a bit disappointing.

The flavor started off very earthy with a mild pepper undertone. After a few puffs, the pepper notes subsided and gave way to a slight nutty flavor. Along with the nuttiness, came a strong toasty flavor. After a couple inches of this stick, I thought about letting it go out because the wrapper was bothering me so much. But I muscled through enough to unlock the woody flavors that came in.

Towards the halfway point of this cigar, the wrapper more or less exploded. The earthiness picked up quite a bit and the spice was almost nonexistent. The nutty flavors became much more defined and were almost like almond flavored. Surprisingly, once I got passed where the wrapper was exploded, the flavors all came together. The finish was very creamy with little notes of spice that came back along with the earth, wood, and nutty notes.

The ash was actually pretty strong on this cigar, given the construction of it. The ash itself was almost white. The burn completely surprised me because it was completely even all the way through. The draw was depressing because it was tight and never eased up. The smoke was thick and white, but not as much was produced as I would have liked. The aroma wasn’t bad either, just a little spicy.

Overall the flavor was good, but I was disappointed with just about every other aspect. I feel that I can give this cigar a 4 out of 10.

Enjoy,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment