Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Morro Castle Belicoso Review

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
Filler: Cuban-seed Nicaraguan and Honduran long leaf fillers
Price: $5.00

Two thing drew me towards this particular cigar. The first thing that drew me in was the band. The band is vintage looking with a lighthouse represented on it. The second thing, the size. I am a huge fan of belicoso cigars.

Before I lit up this stick, I gave it a quick look over. The wrapper smelled pretty good, not excellent. There were no veins in the leaf that would have any effect in the burn pattern. And the wrapper has a flavor that was strikingly similar to oak.

The cigar was slightly spicy and peppery right as it was lit. After a few puffs, there were subtle hints of coffee coming through as well. The combination of coffee and pepper were quite unique. Neither flavor was strong enough to say that it was a prominent flavor.


As the cigar went on, the flavors got a bit better. A slight nutty flavor entered as the cigar became much more earthy. The nutty flavor resembled almonds, but again, the flavors weren’t too powerful. After the midpoint of the cigar, the spiciness of the pepper flavor completely subsided, and mainly only the nuttiness and earthiness remained.

My favorite part of this cigar was the ash. It was a medium shade of gray, and rarely flaked off. The ash held on to the midpoint of the cigar. Granted that the cigar was only five inches, I still feel that when an ash holds on until halfway it is impressive.  The draw of this stick was all of the way through as well. There was nothing impressive about the aroma either. When someone says that the cigar stinks, this is the smell they are talking about. There cigars aroma smelled cheap.

Given that this cigar didn’t impress me I have to give this cigar a 7 out of 10. I recommend this cigar to people who are fans of mild cigars. Because as far as mild cigars go, this wasn’t that bad at all. I just feel that I get much more flavor out of full bodied cigars.

Enjoy your smoke,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment