Thursday, February 16, 2012

God of Fire Serie B 2010 Robusto Gordo Review

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sun Grown
Filler: Dominican
Price: $20.00

A few months ago I reviewed the God of Fire by Don Carlos 2007 and absolutely loved the cigar. When I saw that they were releasing a new line for the God of Fire with a maduro wrapper, I knew that I would most likely love this one too. After contemplating for a while on what I wanted my next review to be, I decided to grab this out of my humidor finally give it a shot. I have very high hopes for this cigar since the Don Carlos 2007 made my Top 10 of 2011.

The first thing I noticed about this cigar was quite disappointing; it was almost covered in extra glue. There was glue around the bands and all over the wrapper. The wrapper was a dark shade of brown and very smooth. The cap was perfectly flush as well. The stick itself was very solid all the way through and the cigar gave off a very sweet smell. Once I noticed how clean the cut was, I knew I was in for a treat.


As soon as I lit this cigar up, I was hit with a nice spice. The spice wasn’t too strong, and not too light. There was also a strong woodiness and earthiness that came out as well. The spice that was there quickly mellowed out and let the smoke become completely smooth. Once the spice mellowed the woodiness and earthiness completely took over.

By about an inch of the way in to this cigar, the woodiness continued to pick up. Right around this point, the woodiness became very distinct and resembled oak. There was also a little bit of nuttiness that came out and complimented the wood. The spice remained mellow as well.

Once this cigar entered the second third, the nuttiness picked up and the woodiness actually mellowed. As this cigar slowly progressed, there were some slight hints of coffee that came out. As soon as I picked up on the coffee, there was also a very light sweetness that came out and blended with the coffee.

Once this cigar hit the halfway point the earthiness completely picked up and the oak flavor came back strong. The coffee notes completely disappeared, which wasn’t expected because it only stuck around for about an inch. The spice and sweet notes compliment the earthiness perfectly as well.

The last few inches mainly focused around the wood and earth tones. The hints of nuts and spice were still there, but they were barely noticeable. The sweetness was not completely gone, which left room for the spice to pick up on the finish. As this cigar came to a close, I wasn’t disappointed. The smoke was very smooth throughout.

The ash on this cigar was a medium shade of gray and held on for about an inch and a half at a time. The burn pattern was perfectly even all the way through. The draw was very easy and helped to produce a thick white smoke. The smoke gave off a very earthy aroma as well.

This cigar definitely met my expectations. I do not think that it was as good at the Don Carlos 2007, but it was good nonetheless. This cigar was very full, and full of flavor. It wasn’t too complex, but the subtle changes were nice. I would definitely smoke this cigar again. I give this cigar a 9.5 out of 10.

Thanks for reading,

Zack the Stogie Man

2 comments:

  1. Right on. I certainly don't think it's comparable to the Carlito 2007 as well, but it's a good cigar. That being said, just being good probably doesn't cut it for me at that price point and for what God Of Fire is supposed to stand for. Very solid review nevertheless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I agree there are some better sticks out there at this price point.

      Delete