Friday, February 24, 2012

Nub "Dub" Double Maduro Review

Wrapper: Brazilian Maduro
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $8.00

For the past several months I have been asked to reviews some Nubs. I have several in my humidor, but just never got around to reviewing them. Well a couple nights ago I went through my humidor in search of this cigar because I wanted it to be the first Nub that I reviewed. I have heard nothing but good things about this cigar. So I knew I was in for a treat.

The Brazilian maduro wrapper is very dark brown. The wrapper is very smooth with only one very thin vein running through it. The cap is made up of two layers that both lay perfectly flush. The cigar itself is very solid, like every other Nub I have smoked. There are absolutely no soft spots throughout this entire stick. Before I lit this cigar up, I noticed it had a very sweet smell to it that resembled a mixture of dark chocolate and pipe tobacco.

When I lit this cigar up, I was hit with a nice spice. The spice wasn’t too strong, or too light, it was the perfect amount in my opinion. For the first few puffs, the spice picked up just a little bit. After a few minutes of smoking this cigar, the spice mellowed out a bit and gave way to a good woody flavor.

At about the half-inch mark I started to get some strong coffee flavors that came out. Just when I thought that this cigar couldn’t get any more complex, I was proven wrong. Some leather notes came out and added a whole new level of complexity to this cigar.

As this cigar moved into the second third, the coffee flavor mellowed out. Once the coffee was diluted, the wood flavor took over completely. Once the woodiness took over, the spice was almost gone because it was barely an accent to the earth and wood.

By the halfway point the earthiness completely popped. There combination of wood and earth were even more delicious when a slight chocolate accent came out. Once I started to pick up on the chocolate notes, the spice came out a little bit and both added nice compliments to the earth.

When I smoked down to the last inch and a half or so, the flavor became very creamy. The spice picked up a little more on the finish as well. The spice picked up enough to coat my tongue while the woodiness and creaminess coated my palate.

The one problem I had with this cigar was the wrapper. After I smoked down an inch of this cigar, there was a slight crack in the wrapper right near the band.  And then the wrapper cracked again above the wrapper once I got down to about the halfway point. Luckily, the burn pattern wasn't affected too much.

The ash on this cigar was a light gray shade and, like most Nubs, held on the full length of the cigar. The burn was surprisingly even throughout. The cracks only caused mild waves, but they evened out. The draw was actually a little tight for a 60 gauge cigar, but it wasn’t bad. The smoke was a very thick and white and gave off an aroma that had a light spice to it.

This cigar was very good. Was it amazing? No, I don’t think so. I know some people who grab Nubs because they want a quick smoke, but in all honesty this cigar lasted well over an hour. They burn very slow. There were a few issues with the wrapper and the draw was oddly tight for a cigar of this gauge. I feel that this cigar deserves a 7.75 out of 10.

Thanks for reading,

Zack the Stogie Man



1 comment:

  1. Classy with just a hint of sexuality in the description of your nub smoking habits along with the overall experience - miss ya dude man
    -MARK

    ReplyDelete