Thursday, December 8, 2011

Vegas de Santiago Secretos del Maestro Review

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano
Filler: Nicaraguan and Costa Rican
Price: $4.00

Since this week has been pretty busy, I haven’t been able to review as much as I want to. Between work, Christmas shopping, and appointments, I really haven’t had much time to do anything. Well this morning I decided to try something new. I decided to try and do a review on a smaller cigar on my way to work. Luckily I hit a ridiculous amount of red lights driving to work, so I had time to jot down notes along the way. Since I only have roughly a 35 minute commute, I had to pick a smaller cigar, which is why I chose this one.

This cigar’s wrapper is a medium shade of brown. It is also very oily and has a nice shine to it. The cigar itself is very solid from cap to foot. The construction appears to be flawless. There are no veins throughout the entire cigar and the cap if perfectly flush. The smell coming off of this stick is slightly earthy and slightly bitter. The cut was clean and the light was very easy.

Upon lighting this cigar, I was greeted with some strong earthy tones. As the cigar progressed, more and more flavors started to emerge. There was a little bit of spice that came out after about a dozen puffs or so.  About the same time, I was greeted with some woodiness. The bitterness that I smelled on the cigar, transformed into flavor about an inch in. It resembled that of a light roast coffee.

About a third of the way into this cigar, the flavor became sweet. The draw started to become very sweet. There was a good amount of sugar flavor on my tongue. As the sugar started to coat my tongue, the wood flavor started to coat my palate. It was a combination of savory and sweet that was very nice.

Halfway into this cigar, the sweetness completely took over. There were some earthy notes there, but they couldn’t compete with the sweetness. The wood continued to pick up and build on the palate. By about the start of the last third, the spice started to pick up and dilute the sweetness a little bit.

The end of this cigar was still ridiculously sweet, not like a flavored cigar, but a naturally sweet sugary flavor. The woodiness and earthiness move more to the background of the flavor profile white the spice builds up a bit more. The bitterness is also completely gone by this time as well.

The ash on this cigar was a medium shade of gray. The ash was nicely and evenly layered and held on until about the halfway point. The burn was pretty even throughout the entire cigar. The draw was very easy and helped to produce a great amount of thick white smoke. The smoke also gave off a very sweet smell.

I wish these cigars were easier to get a hold of because it was the perfect size for my commute to work. Plus the sweetness would have been a perfect complement to a cup of coffee. I think that this is easily a cigar that I would get a box of. I give it a 7.75 out of 10.

Enjoy,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment