Monday, December 26, 2011

Tatuaje Cojonu 2003 Review

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $13.00

As some of you may know, Tatuaje cigars are fairly new to me. I finally found a store relatively close to me that carries them. But this particular cigar was sent to me from a friend in Texas. He said that I had to try this one and review it. So I let it set for a couple weeks until I had a good day to enjoy a cigar like this. Well this past Friday, I got out of work about an hour early due to the holiday, so I had the perfect time to relax and enjoy this one.

This cigar’s Corojo wrapper is dark brown and very smooth. There are a couple of very thin veins that run the length of the stick, but I wasn’t too worried about them. The stick is also very solid throughout from cap to foot. The cap is perfectly flush, which lead to a very easy and clean cut. The smell coming off of this cigar was very sweet, notes of chocolate stuck out a little bit. Lighting this cigar was pretty easy because of how evenly packed to filler tobacco was.


As soon as I lit up this cigar, I was greeted with an array of flavors. With most cigars I have reviewed lately, there is one prominent flavor right off of the light, but this cigar was different. I was getting strong notes of coffee, spice and earth all right away. The spice quickly mellowed out which gave way to even more earthiness. As the cigar slowly progressed, some nice wood notes came out, and these notes were accented nicely with the spice.

Right around an inch into this cigar, I started getting those notes of sweetness that I could smell on the stick. Very distinct chocolate notes were there, but they weren’t prominent. The wood notes also continue to pick up as well. The spice is dulled to an accent for the remainder of the first third, but it accents the chocolate and wood notes wonderfully.

By the second third, the spice picked back up. This time is wasn’t just pepper, but a combination of pepper and cinnamon. There was a good balance of sweet and spicy. There are some coffee notes that come out as well, but they remain fairly mild. The earth tones and woodiness are very prominent, and the wood starts to sit on the palate. Right around halfway, the smoke gets very smooth and creamy and stays that way for another inch or so.

The spice is very light in the last couple inches, but the wood and earth notes are very strong. The coffee notes started to pick up a little bit as well. The flavor and smoke is still very creamy all the way into the finish. The finish became very full. Literally every flavor note came together for the last couple inches. The wood, earth, coffee, pepper, and chocolate notes all had distinct hints during the finish.

The ash on this cigar was a darker shade of gray. Due to the wind, the ash only held on for about an inch and a half at a time. The burn was pretty even throughout, but there were a couple times where I think the wind messed it up. The draw was a little tighter than I am used to, but it still wasn’t bad. The smoke was thick and white and gave off an earthy aroma that I could only pick up when the wind was calm.

This is definitely a cigar that I would like to keep in my humidor, but they aren’t the easiest or cheapest cigars to find. But the flavor was constantly changing. If the draw was a little easier and the burn was perfectly even, I would have rated it a little higher, but I feel a 8 out of 10 is well-deserved for this particular cigar.

Thanks for reading,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment