Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Partagas Cifuentes Febrero Review

Wrapper: Dominican
Filler: Dominican Piloto Cubano
Price: $3.00 - $4.00

Towards the end of last week I asked a group of cigar smokers what cigars they would like to see in the upcoming week. Since I have a “Coming Soon” list on here, they had an idea of what cigars were available. After several ideas were tossed out there I gathered them I chose a few of the ones that were asked. This particular cigar has been on the list for some time, so it was a perfect time to finally review it.

After looking over this cigar, I could tell it wasn’t the best constructed cigar out there. The wrapper looked good. It was a dark brown, almost like dark chocolate and was very oily. There were also no thick veins throughout the cigar. But on the downside, there were quite a few soft and spongy spots throughout this stick. The cigar had a very distinct bittersweet smell to it. The cap was perfectly flush and cut clean, but I was still worried how it would burn. There was also quite a bit of extra glue behind the band.

Since I don’t have much experience with Partagas cigars, I wasn’t too sure what to expect. But once I lit up this one, I was greeted with a nice spice. Along with the spice, there were some wood notes that accented the flavor well. As the cigar progressed, some minor chocolate notes came out. The flavor was a nice sweet and spicy combination.

By about an inch into this one, some seriously strong coffee notes develop. The bitterness of this is slightly overpowering. It was actually left on my lips as well as on my tongue. Just when I was getting a bit sick of the bitterness, a nice amount of earth came out and counteracted the bitterness.

Right around the start of the second third, the spice mellowed out leaving me a strong wood and a strong coffee flavor combination. It seemed as the spice lessened, the wood picked up. About halfway through this cigar, the smoke becomes very creamy and the flavor is very smooth. It seemed like every puff contained a little bit of sweetness as well.
The last couple inches were where all the flavors mashed together. The spiciness picked back up, as did the bitterness. There was a good amount of wood and spice that attached to my palate while the bitter coffee flavor sat on my tongue. As this stick came to a close, the sweetness started mellowing out.

Even with the number of soft spots this cigar had, it actually burned pretty evenly. The ash was a medium shade of gray and nicely layered. It wound up holding on for about an inch and a half at a time. The draw was very easy, which I am assuming is partly because of the loose pack. The smoke was very thick, and slightly brown. It gave off a very strong earth aroma.

There were parts of this cigar where the flavor was great, but there were others where I wasn’t impressed. Other than the soft spots, the construction was pretty good. Would I buy a box of these? Probably not, but for the price you can get them for, they wouldn’t be a bad one to have around. I give this one a 5.5 out of 10.

Thanks for reading,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment