Sunday, December 18, 2011

Rocky Patel Thunder by Nimish Toro Review

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $6.00

Back in October I was at a cigar event down in Delaware. One of the venders there happened to be Rocky Patel. This cigar was just released before this event so it was new on the market. When I was talking with the rep, I mentioned my reviews, and he gave me a couple of  the Thunders to try out. I had one there, and thought it was good that I had another one I could save for review.

The cigar features a dark brown habano wrapper. The wrapper is very smooth and oily. There are no veins throughout the entire wrapper that would cause any burn patterns. This stick is very solid and tightly packed throughout. The cap is perfectly flush and featured three layers. There is also a good aroma coming off of this stick. It is slightly spicy and earthy.

As soon as I lit up this cigar, I knew how it got its name. The spice was very powerful. There was also a slight sweetness to help mask a little bit of the spice. The sweetness quickly mellows out and the spice keeps picking up. Once the sweetness was practically gone, there was a good amount of earthiness comes out. Already I could tell that with a couple months age, this cigar has developed wonderfully.

About an inch into this cigar, I started getting little hints of coffee. The spice was still picking up and stained the palate. Just when I thought that the spice was going to be too strong, it mellowed out a little bit and gave way to some leather accents.

The second third of this cigar was where it became much more complex. The spiciness mellowed out even more and let the earthiness and some wood notes take over. The palate flavor is now a nice combination of leather and a mild spiciness. Just around the half way point, the flavors continued to develop and a little bit of a bitter bit came out. It wasn’t too bad because it lead to a nice creaminess.

The last couple inches where were everything molded together. There was a good black coffee flavor that came out that was accented by the spice that picked back up. The earthiness and wood notes were more in the background, but they were still very noticeable. Overall the finish was full of flavor.

The ash was a mix of medium and dark grays that held on for about two inches at a time. The burn was pretty uneven and required a couple touch ups, which bothered me a little bit. The draw was very easy and produced a thick gray smoke. There was also a nice earthy aroma coming from this smoke.

This cigar definitely tasted better after a couple months of age. I wouldn’t put this one on my list of favorites, but I certainly wouldn’t pass it up. I think this cigar deserves a 7.25 out of 10. I would have rated it a bit higher, but both had similar burn issues.

Thanks for reading,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment