Monday, November 14, 2011

Viaje Holiday Blend Review

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Crillio
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $10.00

 As most of my readers probably remember, I reviewed the Viaje Skull and Bones a couple weeks ago. Once I smoked that I had to find more Viaje cigars because they would all be new to me. I asked around to see if anyone knew of anywhere to get them. Before I knew it, a package was on my doorstep with a couple other Viaje cigars in it. I let them rest a little bit and get back to proper humidity. This one is the first of the cigars I will be reviewing.

This cigar just looked like the perfect cigar to enjoy in a nice, brisk, Saturday morning. The wrapper is chocolate brown and very smooth. There were no veins throughout the entire wrapper. This cigar is also complete with a closed foot. The cigar is solid throughout without one soft spot. Even the foot is very solid. There is a multilayered cap that is perfectly flush and cut very clean as well. There is also a sweet and bitter smell coming off of this stick.

As soon as I lit up this cigar, I was getting strong notes of oak and earth. There was also a light spice that started to form. About an inch into this cigar, the spice mellowed out and gave way to a slight leather flavor. The leather flavor nicely coated the palate, whereas the oak and earth coated the tongue. This flavor combination stayed fairly consistent until I started getting a mild bitterness, like black coffee.

About halfway through this cigar, the earthy tones were still very strong. The leather even built up more on the palate and became very distinct. The oak flavor is strong, but not as strong as it was at the start of this stick. The finish of this stick picks up. The coffee flavor became much more dominant and combines nicely with the strong earth. The combination of earth, oak and coffee work perfect together. Through to the end of the cigar, the leather remained on the palate.

The ash was a bit dark, but it was pretty strong and held on until about the halfway point. The ash was also nicely layered. The burn was wavy at the start but it really wasn’t that bad, then it even out until the end. The draw was very easy throughout the entire stick and produced a good amount of thick white smoke. I couldn’t really get a strong aroma because it was pretty windy out, but I was getting bits of earth at times.

Would I smoke this cigar again? Yes I would. I liked this cigar, even though the flavor was relatively consistent throughout the entire stick. But what I liked most was its ability to be a good breakfast cigar. It was a nice medium body that I think would go great with some coffee. I give it a 7.5 out of 10.

Enjoy,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment