Saturday, November 5, 2011

Illuminati Shield Robusto Review

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
Filler: Nicaraguan Ligero
Price: $7.00 - $8.00
A couple weeks ago I was introduced to this cigar company. I was talking with one of the company’s distributors and he asked me to write up some reviews on the cigars. So once the cigars came, I let them rest in my humidor for some time to get them back to ideal humidity. After I got out of work, the weather was so nice that I had to take advantage of it before it gets ridiculously cold. After looking through my humidor, I felt these cigars were back to ideal smoking conditions.

The wrapper on this cigar was dark brown and smooth. There were a couple thinner veins running the length of the cigar, but nothing that worried me. This cigar is solid throughout with not a single soft spot. The cap was evenly wrapped but had a couple rough spots. This cigar also gave off a sweet and earthy smell. The cut was clean with no peeling occurring.

As soon as I lit up this cigar, the flavors jumped out. There were some very strong wood and spice notes. Shortly into this stick, the spice mellows out a bit. When this happens, there are much more robust wood and earth flavors. The wood becomes more distinct like oak. There is also a good amount off leather that forms as well. By an inch in, the spice is very mellow. The wood continues to pick up. Then all of a sudden, a nice sweetness forms in the background to compliment the leather.

Around the halfway point, there are some coffee notes that come out. The spice is still present, but it not strong at all. There is just enough for a nice accent flavor. The prominent flavors throughout this half are leather, oak, and earth. The finish was very good. The spice comes back a little bit and the spice and leather combination coat the palate.

The ash on this cigar was a medium to dark shade of gray that was nicely layered. This ash held on until just about the half way point. The burn was uneven off of the start, but once I touched it up around halfway, the burn evened out. The draw was great and produced a thick and very flavorful smoke. The smoke gave off a very earthy aroma with slight spice to it.

This cigar was very good. This medium to full bodied cigar produced more flavor than I expected. It wasn’t overly complex, but the flavors that were there were very good. If you can’t find this cigar, they are available online through Rancho Maduro Cigars. I give this cigar a 7.75 out of 10.

Enjoy,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment