Thursday, November 24, 2011

Savinelli Liga Especial Review

Wrapper: Ecuadorian
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $8.00

A couple months ago I was sent a couple cigars from Savinelli. Prior to that package, I did not know this company made cigars. After talking with them I learned a little bit more about them. The weather was actually nice enough to day to smoke and relax so I felt it was a good day to sit outside with this cigar and just enjoy my day off.

This cigar has a very nice, medium brown wrapper. There were a couple thin veins, but none of them were big enough to cause any concern. The cigar is solid throughout the entire length of the stick. The torpedo cap is perfectly flush and smooth. There is also a slightly bitter smell coming off of this cigar. The torpedo cut very clean and didn’t unwrap at all.

As soon as I lit this cigar up, I was greeted with a mild spice. There were also some strong earthy tones that came out. As the cigar slowly progressed, there were some good wood notes that entered into the picture. By about the one-inch mark, the earthiness takes over. The mild spice picked up a little bit more and actually stuck to my tongue a little bit.

As I entered into the second third of this cigar, I started getting notes of leather to negate a little bit of the earthy flavor. The spice even built up a little bit more. Don’t get me wrong, this cigar is still very earthy and woody, but the spice and leather combined to create a very complex flavor profile. Just after halfway, the cigar mellows out a little bit. The wood notes actually start to take over and coat the palate.

The last couple inches are a complete turn from the rest of the cigar. The spice died down completely and just accented the earthiness. The earth completely took over the wood and took center stage. The wood notes are still good, but are weak and cant compete with the earth tones. The finish was full of flavor and power.

The ash was a darker shade of gray. It was also pretty strong and layered and held on until about the halfway point. The burn was even for the most part. The draw was easy, a little tight, but not bad. The smoke was thick and white and gave off an earthy and spice aroma.

This cigar started off with a good medium body, then picked up towards the end. This is a cigar that I would smoke again for sure. This is a cigar that would go great with a nice stout or porter for sure. A heavy beer would bring out more of the earthiness. I give this cigar a 7.25 out of 10.

Enjoy,

Zack the Stogie Man

1 comment:

  1. Nice. This is one of my favorites Savinelli has to offer.

    So creamy!

    ReplyDelete