Tuesday, November 15, 2011

La Gloria Cubana Artesanos Retro Especiale Review

Wrapper: Honduran
Filler: Nicaraguan and Dominican
Price: $7.00

In the past few months, I have been exploring the various La Gloria Cubana lines. I heard from a couple people that they were releasing a new line. This news was exciting to me because I love trying new cigars. So when this cigar was released I got my hands on some. I put one away to review one morning because it was mild and would be a great morning cigar. So over this past weekend I figured it was a good day to smoke my last one.

The light brown wrapper is very nice and smooth. There were a couple veins, but they were all thin. The cigar is solid from cap to foot. The cap is also perfectly flush. There is a strong, sweet and earthy smell coming off of this stick. Upon looking the stick over, I noticed a slight crack in the wrapper by the foot, but I wasn’t too worried about it. The cigar cut very clean as well.

Upon lighting up this cigar, I got some strong earthy notes. There were also some little notes of wood and nut that formed. Shortly after the wood and nut flavors, came a mild spice. About an inch into this cigar, the nuttiness picked up a great deal and a sweetness like honey formed. The honey nut flavor was great and coated my mouth perfectly.

The mid-section of this cigar is where it really opened up. There was a little bit of bitterness that formed and combined with the earthy tones. The spice also picked up a little bit. The wood notes became more robust and were a nice accent flavor.  By the halfway point , the earthy tones become very prominent and come to the front of the flavor profile.

The last couple inches mellowed out. The earth was still strong but the nutty flavor became much milder. The sweetness was almost completely gone as well. The spice wasn’t coming much either. I would get a hint of it every few puffs, but it wasn’t strong. The finish was very nice and mild and focused more around the earthy tones.

The ash was surprising to me. It was a medium shade of gray and held on about half way through the stick. I was surprised the ash held on that long with the morning breeze. The burn was pretty wavy at first, but it even out at stayed even until the end. The draw was very nice and easy and produced a thick gray smoke. The smoke gave off a nice earthy aroma with a mild spice mixed in.

This cigar is well worth a try. If you are a fan of mild cigar, or cigars with coffee, this cigar is right for you. This cigar goes great with a nice warm cup of coffee. The flavor profile was way more than I expected so I give this cigar an 8 out of 10.

Enjoy,

Zack the Stogie Man

1 comment:

  1. I've smoked a number of these, most recently at the factory in the DR, and I really like them a lot, very well balanced. I've been smoking LGCs here and there for the last 15 years or so and they never fail me. I like the Artesanos Obilesco and Tabaqueros quite a bit as well, but you can't beat a good old Wavell.

    ReplyDelete