Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Emilio Cigars AF1 BMF Review

Wrapper: San Andres Maduro
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $7.00 - $8.00

For the past couple months I have been trying to get my hands of the Emilio AF1 and AF2. After months of waiting to find a shop with them, my local shop finally started carrying them. So after smoking a couple of these and falling in love with them, I decided that I had to review them. The AF1 comes in a few sizes, but the BMF is my personal favorite. If you care to know what BMF stands for, look it up, its entertaining.

The maduro wrapper on this cigar is dark brown, almost the color of dark chocolate. The wrapper is very smooth as well with no veins throughout the entire wrapper. The cap is also perfectly flush. This cigar is definitely packed tight from cap to foot, there isn’t a single spot where it feels a little soft. The cigar smells very sweet, almost like chocolate. This cigar is also very easy to light.

As soon as I lit this one up, the flavors just popped out. There was a nice helping of peppery spice right off of the light, but the spice quickly mellowed out. Once the spice died down, some earthy notes as well as woody notes came into the picture. The wood builds up quite quickly on my palate. Then I was greeted with another surprise, I started getting a good amount of sweetness on the draw.

The second third of this cigar took another turn. The spice faded out a little bit more and let the earthy tones take over. There were some new bitter notes that started to build up on my tongue as well as the wood flavor building more on my palate. The earthiness keeps getting more robust as the cigar progresses. About halfway through this cigar, the sweetness that was coming through on the draw diminished and the spice picked back up.

The last couple inches were fantastic. There was a bit of coffee flavor that came out. The wood notes were still very strong and very flavorful. The earthiness is even better than before as well. The finish is full of great flavor. There notes of coffee, earth, and wood all combined perfectly with just little accents of spice.

The ash on this cigar was a medium shade of gray and held on for about two inches. Last time I smoked this cigar, the ash held on all the way down to the band. The burn was uneven at times but that was due to the wrapper. The San Andres Maduro is very thick, so it tends to burn a little odd. The draw was very easy and produced a thick white smoke. The smoke also gave off a very earthy aroma.

Would I smoke this cigar again? Without a doubt I would. This cigar has easily become a favorite of mine. I would say it is full flavored, but not full bodied. Its definitely on the border between medium and full though. If you can find this cigar, get it. You wont be disappointed. I give this cigar a 8.5 out of 10.

Enjoy,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment