Monday, April 16, 2012

Tatuaje Wolfman Review

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $13.00

This cigar gave me quite the run around just to get my hands on. I went to a couple shops very early in November, and they were already sold out. After a few months of trying to find one of these, a friend of mine agreed to trade one to me. Now I finally had my chance to review this cigar to see what all the fuss was about.

The Sumatra wrapper is a chocolate shade of brown and very smooth and oily. The oily shine completely covers the cigar. There were a couple veins that ran through the cigar, but none of them seemed thick enough to be concerned about. This cigar was not only a box-pressed torpedo, but it also has a shaggy foot. The torpedo cap was perfect and evenly wrapped. The cigar was solid all the way through and gave off a strong earthy smell.

As soon as I lit this cigar up I was hit with a nice spice almost immediately. There were some earthy tones that really started to come out once the burn got passed the shaggy foot. Once the wrapper was fully burning, the flavors started to pour out. There were some coffee tones that seamed to form, as well as a very nice creaminess. The creaminess and coffee tones were perfect.


By the time I got through the first inch the flavors balanced out. The spice that was there since the light started to mellow out to an accent. The coffee flavors really pick up and start to take over quite a bit. The earthiness had finally balanced out with an oak-like flavor that formed rather quickly.

The second third is where the strength really picked up. Even though I could feel that the strength was there, the flavor profile remained very smooth. The coffee flavors seemed to pick up even more again, and now it was becoming slightly bitter. The spice and the oak were also starting to sit on my palate.

The spice really picked up again once I hit the halfway point of this cigar. The spice and coffee were now the main flavors of the smoke. It seemed as though the oak and the earthy flavors moved more to the background. There was also a very light sweetness that started to form, but I couldn't pinpoint exactly what it was.

The last couple inches were composed mainly of coffee notes. The coffee just kept building up. It actually got to the point where it overpowered the spice, which is fairly rare. All of the flavors seemed to come together for a great finish. The very end of this cigar was much creamier and woodier than every before.

The ash was a light to medium shade of gray that held on for about an inch and a half at a time. The ash was also slightly flaky yet layered. The burn was wavy at times due to one vein on the underside of the cigar, but it never got out of control. The draw was tight at the start, but it eased up as the cigar progressed. The draw also produced a very thick smoke that gave off an earthy and spicy aroma.

The big downfall to this cigar was that there was a ton of tar that build up. After about each third, I had to clip a very small layer off of the cap to open it back up. I also had to purge this cigar several times.

This cigar is very full bodied. I don't suggest smoking this first thing in the morning like I did. Maybe after breakfast with a cup of coffee. I feel this cigar would shine there. I really do with that I  could get my hands on a box of these, or at least a couple more so I could have another great experience with it. I feel this cigar deserves an 8.5 out of 10.

Thanks for reading,

Zack the Stogie Man

3 comments:

  1. You make me nervous getting so close to the band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They come off easier from the heat. Thus, less chance of hurting the wrapper. But i also think it looks coold

      Delete
  2. I've only smoked one of these and I remember thinking "this doesn't have a whole lot of flavor" right at the very beginning. Then I realized "oh yeah, there's no wrapper for the first 1/4 inch!"

    ReplyDelete