Monday, April 23, 2012

Alec Bradley New York Six Two Review

Wrapper: Honduran Havana 98 Criollo
Filler: Honduran and Nicaraguan
Price: $6.00 - $7.00

Last Thursday, April 19th, there was a huge Alec Bradley event at Holt's Cigar Company. When I got up there I noticed they had several of these cigars there. Since I am in Philadelphia, it is extremely difficult to get my hands on cigar that are exclusive to a specific area. I was lucky enough to snag a whole box of these cigars. And since I will be up in New York City on Tuesday, I wanted to review this cigar immediately.

The Honduran Havana 98 Criollo wrapper n this cigar is a medium shade of brown and very smooth. There is also a slightly oily shine to the cigar. Like most cigars, there were a couple very thin veins running throughout this cigar, but nothing to worry about.

The cap was actually composed of four separate layers. All of the layers were perfectly flush with the rest of the cigar. The stick itself was solid and uniform throughout and gave off a very strong and earthy smell.

Once I lit this cigar up, I was hit a smooth woodiness and a slight pepper flavor. After a half dozen puffs, a sweet sugary flavor comes out. The sugar and pepper flavors seemed to keep each other balanced for a little bit.

By about a half inch in on this cigar the sweetness mellowed out slightly. This allowed the woodiness and earthiness to really pick up and start to define the flavor profile. Towards the end of the first third, the pepper tones started to pick up slightly as well.

The second third was where the flavors all started to come together perfectly. The light sweetness comes back a little bit more. The woodiness became  more defined, and leaned towards an oak flavor. The earth tones seemed to pick up even more as well. Finally, just shy of the halfway point, the spice mellowed out to an accent and became balanced with the sweetness again.

At the halfway point I could really tell how balanced, yet complex this cigar had become. The sweetness becomes very noticeable on the draw while the spice is left on the exhale. The oak and earth tones really started to sit on my palate while the sweetness and spice sat on my tongue. Towards the end of the second third the flavors started to smooth out.

The last couple inches actually became quite creamy. The sweetness came out a little bit more and the spice mellowed out again. The finish was very smooth and very flavorful. All of the flavors were present and worked perfectly together.

The ash on this cigar was a light to medium shade of gray. The ash also held on for about two thirds of the cigar, right up to band. The burn was even for the most part, one one small correction, but that was due to the wind. The draw was very easy and produced a very thick white smoke. The smoke was very earthy, and very noticeable.

This is a box worthy cigar in my opinion. It is a pretty complex cigar with slight changes throughout it. Its a medium body cigar that had more flavor that some full bodied cigars I have had before. I give this cigar a 8.75 out of 10 hands down.

Thanks for reading,

Zack the Stogie Man

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good cigar. Does it compare to any other AB's you've tried?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, this one may be my favorite. I am a fan of the Black Market and Prensado, but this is the only Alec Bradley Box I have aver bought.

      Delete