Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Oliveros LTD Toro Review

Wrapper: Brazilian Maduro
Filler: Combination of Nicaraguan, Peruvian, and Dominican
Price: $7.00 - $8.00

I picked up an Oliveros sampler pack a few months back, and this one cigar stood out to me. It was partly due to its wrapper. I am a true fan of full bodied cigars. And this cigar definitely packed the right punch for me.

The wrapper, however, was actually quite rough. The wrapper wasn’t really smooth like most other cigars. It actually felt dry, but I know my humidor is working correctly because no other cigar that I have smoked lately have felt this way. The wrapper had a few thick veins and several soft spots. The wrapper actually smelled quite sweet and tasted like coffee.

Once I lit this stick up, the flavor was clearly coffee. Shortly after I lit it, there seemed to be a mild pepper flavor but that faded quite quickly. Once the pepper flavor subsided, a sweet sugary flavor entered. The flavor actually tasted like coffee with a nice helping a sugar in it. The palate was left with a very sweet coating.

A few inches in the spicy pepper was almost non-existent. This cigar was just a sweet smoke now. Toward the midpoint of the stick, there came several earthy note. Sweet tobacco flavor and a cedar like wood flavor came out strong. This part of the cigar was definitely the most enjoyable to me.

The last couple inches were quite odd in flavor. All the flavors dulled down and became quite bland. The only flavor that stood out was the spice, which came back strong. There still was some sweetness but it was no competition to the spice. Even the coffee flavor that was so strong earlier, dulled down quite a bit.

The burn on this cigar was odd. It burned in different directions several times. It canoed on the bottom, then evened out. Then canoed on the side, then evened out. No matter how weird the burn pattern was, it always evened itself out. The draw on the other hand, was flawless all the way to the end. The ash was different to say the least. The top of the ash was very light gray, yet the bottom was dark. And, it split into two separate ashes for the first inch. The aroma however, was very sweet and aromatic.

This cigar had great flavor for the first three quarters, but the construction concerned me. Anyone who likes a naturally sweet traditional cigar, I recommend this one to you. I can only give this cigar a 7 out of 10, due to the construction issues.

Until next time,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment