Tuesday, June 21, 2011

CAO Lx2 Gordo Review

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Ligero
Filler: Dominican and Nicaraguan Ligeros
Price: $7.00 - $8.00

 In all honesty, I am not a huge fan of CAO. I personally feel they are a bit generic to say the least. They do have a few within their lines that I do like. And the Lx2 is by far my favorite. I stopped by a shop a few weeks ago and saw this stick, 6” x 60, so I picked it up. I haven’t had it in this size before so I figured it was perfect for a review.

As I said, this cigar is a 6” x 60. Definitely a fat cigar. The wrapper is an oily, shiny, med brown wrapper with a slight reddish tint. The cigar smells ridiculously sweet and was very solid. The band on this cigar is very cool with the tribal design.

One I lit up this stick, the flavors were right there. At first, the primary flavor was pepper but that was quickly greeted by some other delightful flavors. After about a quarter inch, the flavor became very creamy with notes of nuts. Shortly after that, there seemed so be some coffee notes as well. Once the coffee notes came, the peppery spice was cut perfectly for a nice balance of flavor.

After the first third, the peppery flavor died down. Once that happened a toasty flavor entered into the picture. The flavors just kept coming and changing. All of a sudden little sweet notes of cedar came just making the flavor amazing. Right around the halfway point or so, a whole new spice flavor entered. Cinnamon came out and combined in with the toast and  nutty flavors for a very flavorful palate.

Once the last third gets under way, I could taste the pepper coming back into the picture and the cinnamon dissipating. The last couple inches were very earthy as well. The flavors became very robust and enjoyable. The flavors never seemed to amaze me with how strong they were.

There were a couple thing about this cigar I really liked, and a couple things that annoyed me. I loved how easy the draw on this cigar was. I know that this was due to the fact that it was a 60 gauge cigar, so naturally the draw should have been easy. Also the aroma was unique. It was surprisingly sweet with subtle spice in it. Now what I didn’t like was the burn and the ash. The ash was strong and held on until the half way point, but it was very dark gray and flakey. And the burn was uneven for most of the burn. I had to touch it up a couple times to get in back on track. But when there was about two inches left, it evened itself out and stayed even.

The flavors are great and all, but I have to take away a few points for the ugly ash and the canoeing. So I guess I’ll give this cigar a 7.75 out of 10.

Until the next smoke,

Zack the Stogie Man

3 comments:

  1. I am normally treat to CAO cigars, I can not say I was delighted by all of the cigars of the brand, but this cigar was really good, full flavor held throughout the cigar...I think it's worth to try it

    Regards,
    Jarvis from Cigars Online

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an enjoyable cigar, and it was complex relative to most other mild smokes. The prelight draw of the cigar offers some well defined coffee bean notes.

    cao cigars

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had 2 of these and must say my experience with the construction was awful. The flavor was not pleasant enough to warrant the cost but the burn for me was terrible. The first LX2 I had a single leaf of tobacco (perhaps a vein of a leaf) burned for a good 2.5 inches inside the cigar. I re-cut the cigar about 2 inches down from the edge of the burn and there was a single line of ash tunneling deeper into the stick. The second one just had terrible burning along the sides.

    ReplyDelete