Sunday, July 10, 2011

Partagas Black Label 1845 Clasico Review

 Wrapper: Sun-Grown Connecticut Broadleaf
Filler: Nicaraguan Cuban-Seed Ligero
Price: $4.00 - $5.00

This cigar was given to me in a trade a few weeks back with my neighbor. What we do is we buy sampler packs and trade full bodied cigars for light bodied cigars. He is a fan of mild to medium, and I am partial to medium to full. So when I gave him a couple, this was one of the few he gave me.

The wrapper is almost jet black. It was also very oily with a nice shine to it. The cigar itself smelled very sweet which I find quite often with the full bodied cigars. There were a few cracks in the wrapper but nothing major, and there was also a few thick veins that I was a little worried about.

As soon as I lit this stick up, it was surprisingly smooth and very sweet. The flavor was chocolate right off the bat. After a few puffs, the spice finally came. The spice wasn’t strong enough to even dissipate any of the sweetness. After about an inch or so, a lot of earthy and wood notes came out. The combination of these flavors were amazing. And I wasn’t expecting the flavors to be this great in a cheaper stick. 

From the mid section on, the sweetness kicked up much more. The chocolate flavor became much more distinct and a coffee flavor even came into play. There is nothing I like more in a cigar that the sweetness of chocolate greeted with the nice taste of coffee. The earthy notes kicked up quite a bit as well. With the sweetness being so strong, the spice was whittled down to just a hint here or there. From the midpoint on, the sweetness was amazing, leading to a great finish.

The ash on this cigar was something to look it, literally. It was light gray with a few darker shades marbled in. The ash was layered great and held on strong. The draw was a little tough at first but eased up and the cigar progressed. The burn was relatively even all the way through until the last inch and a half or so, but it wasn’t bad at all. The smoke was very thick and creamy but was a little dark. And the aroma was great. I could definitely smell the sweetness coming through.

I would definitely recommend this cigar to anyone who is a fan of medium to full cigars. This is definitely one to try, but it wasn’t close to be the best cigar I have ever had. I would only give this cigar a 6 out of 10.

Keep on smoking,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment