Sunday, March 27, 2011

Gurkha Crest Review



Gurkha Crest Torpedo

Wrapper: Connecticut Maduro
Filler: Cuban-seed Nicaraguan

Price: $22.00 - $25.00

As you will learn, I am a huge fan of Gurkha cigars. I went into this particular stick with high hopes. Its not a cigar for the Average Joe just looking for an occasional cigar. If you are lucky enough to find this guy on a cigar store shelf, it will set you back at least $25, but I can say with confidence, you will enjoy it.

Let me start off by saying this, the cigar itself smelled absolutely amazing. And the cigar band was stunningly glorious on all counts. When I cut it, and saw how even the fillers were and how tight the filler tobacco was wrapped, I knew right then that I was in for a treat.

This stick lit with great ease and gave off on of the most distinct and strong aromas of any cigar I have ever smoked (which is several, I cant lie). Along with the amazing aroma, the flavors just stood out. Now I started tasting very subtle hints of chocolate, but with that came notes of leather and oak, and was very toasty.

Like I said earlier, the filler tobacco was wrapped very tight, which accounts for why the cigar burned so beautiful, slow, and most importantly, even. The ash on this cigar wasn't as strong as I like, but the light gray color made it simply beautiful to look at. When i say the ash wasn't strong, I mean that after smoking down about an inch and a half, if was ready to fall off, but that could have been due to the wind.

Half way through the cigar, the flavors exploded to an all new level. The stood out and each became more and more robust. They set off every individua ltaste bud. The flavor kept getting stronger and stronger throughout the entire smoke. The flavors peaked right about the start of the last 1/3 of the cigar, and the deliciousness stayed surprisingly consistent.

This cigar is very strong though. If you are a first-time cigar smoker, or are not a seasoned cigar smoker at least, I wouldn't recommend smoking this one just yet. This cigar, due the the combination of the maduro wrapper, and the Nicaraguan filler, produce a very full-bodied smoke.

Now a problem I have with some cigars is that over time, the draw slows down, but that wasn't the case here at all. The draw was just like every other aspect of this stick... amazing.

One thing if for sure, next time I smoke one of these, I will have a glass of scotch with it. Mainly because I know that the scotch will set off the flavors that much more.

This cigar easily receives an 8.0

Until next time,

Zack the Stogie Man

No comments:

Post a Comment